“We have been working with WA Youth Theatre Company… [and] this has been an amazing opportunity for students to learn from industry, network, create original work, whilst financially supporting our local arts industry.
I 100% will be aiming to do this again in future years”
~ Renee Miller, Drama Teacher, St George’s Anglican Grammar School ~
What is Deviser’s Playground?
Taking place over one to two terms, students work together with Artistic Director, Amelia Burke, and members of our professional teaching artist pool (as required), to create a new devised work. Our team will work with you throughout the whole process; from choosing the initial theme and ideas, to creating the devising methodology and rehearsal plan, through to getting everyone ready for Opening Night!
- Highly customisable, content will be set through conversation and agreement with the drama teacher.
Student Learning Intentions
- To impart a greater understanding of devising techniques and the power of contemporary storytelling.
- To support students to preserve safety and wellbeing (their own and that of their peers) when making devised work, especially confessional or autobiographical work.
- To strengthen students’ capacity to collaborate for the achievement of theatre-making excellence, including with respect to co-collaborators’ offers and realisation of the director’s vision.
- To enhance student confidence in the develop-rehearse-perform process and in themselves as young performers with their own unique voice.
Teacher Learning Intentions
- Deviser’s Playground also serves as professional learning for drama teachers with respect to modelling the role of director at industry standard.
How much does it cost?
$2850 + GST for an 8x 90min workshops culminating in a performance outcome (usually two performances). Price varies with customisation.
A WAYTCo Stage Manager or Designer can be engaged at an additional cost.
How do I book?
If you are a drama teacher or HOLA looking for a fresh idea for your school’s production, this is for you! Express your interest via the form below and we’ll be in touch to discuss the needs of your school and to shape up a workshop schedule.
Subject to company calendar availability – so get in quick! Email Amelia on email@example.com