“We are debris arrangers. Equipped with what we have inherited, we try to make a life, make a living and make art. We are assemblers. We forge received parts into meaningful compositions. This state of affairs is our plight and our destiny, but it also offers the opportunity to find meaning as well as to find communion with others.”
Want to help your students stand out in their practical examination?
Create Your Own is designed to help ATAR Drama students develop outstanding original pieces for Candidate’s Choice. Leaning into WAYTCo’s award-winning reputation for devised works, the program taps our practice of working safely with young people whilst achieving excellence. Practitioners covered: Antonin Artaud, Frantic Assembly, Steven Berkoff, Jacques Lecoq, Jerzy Grotowski and Complicité.
Approach and content is aligned with current ATAR Drama course Aims and Assessment Criteria, and standard structure and group size can be tailored to need.
Prepare your students to take on their exams with skill and confidence, whilst maintaining a sense of fun and a love of theatre!
- To empower students to get started with the creation of their monologues using different devising and writing techniques.
- To explore different performance styles and dramatic elements that can be used in Candidate’s Choice.
- To experiment with a variety of voice and movement techniques for application in Candidate’s Choice.
- To build capacity to evaluate drama in performance consistently, utilising drama language and contextual knowledge.
- To help students receive and provide constructively critical feedback safely and to thrive in a high-pressure environment.
Structure & Group Size
In standard form, the offering involves:
- 3x 50min masterclasses
- 1-2 hours additional online dramaturgical support, customised to the needs of the group
- Delivery to small groups of students (8 to 15)
This program is delivered by WAYTCo’s Artistic Director, Amelia Burke, or another suitably experienced teaching artist, as required.
Timing of Booking
Create Your Own delivered in the first half of the year is aimed at getting students started with an original devised piece, and giving them a good idea of what they can do. Schools may wish to approach WAYTCo in the second half of the year, when our approach will be geared to assisting students with refining their performance material.
$1,350 AUD + GST.
All Create Your Own participants who progress with a self-devised piece for their Candidate’s Choice assessment are eligible for a 1-year Youth Membership subscription.
How do I book?
To express interest, submit the form below and we’ll be in touch to discuss the needs of your students and to schedule delivery.
Please email Amelia directly, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any questions about approach or content.
Create Your Own
"*" indicates required fields